“Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
It is often said that expressing your gratitude to someone is the most empowering thing you can experience as a human being. In everyday conversations we need to say “thanks” more often than we can imagine. Be it a friendly get-together or a business meeting one has to say “thanks” to make the conversation interesting and up to the notch. Though “thanks” appears to be a simple English phrase but one has to understand the syntax and context while using the phrase as it holds multiple connotations. In this blog post we would cover all the important English Phrases that might be useful in expressing gratitude in different social situations. The list of English Phrases used for conveying gratitude may appear exhaustive but the good part is some of these expressions can be used in both spoken and written communications.
Helpful tips while saying thanks
Prompt: The words of gratitude should be prompt and spontaneous.
Positive: A positive tone in communication should be maintained while extending a word of thanks.
Pertinent: Thankful words conveyed should be according to the social setting and the receiver’s attributes.
BASIC ENGLISH PHRASES
- Thank you
- Many thanks
- Thanks a lot
- Thanks a bunch
- Thank you very much
- Thank you so much
- Thanks a million
- Thanks for everything
- Thanks so much
- Thanks a ton
- You made my day.
- You’re awesome! Thanks.
- That’s very kind of you.
PHRASES FOR THANKING A FRIEND
- Thank you for being my friend
- Thanks a million for being my best friend.
- Thank you my friend for everything.
- Thank you dear for standing with me.
- Thanks a lot for being there for me.
- Thank you so much for so many beautiful memories.
- I am so grateful to have you as my dearest friend.
- Thanks a million for being friend forever.
- You’ve always believed in me. Thank you dear friend.
- I’m so glad to have a friend like you. Thank you!
- I just wish to say thanks for good times.
- I’m so thankful for our friendship—you are awesome!
- You’re my best friend and thank you for sticking around.
- You are a real gem of a person. I’m so glad I’m friends with you.
- I’m thankful for your friendship. Thank you for always being there for me.
- Thank you for everything you have done and love you showered my friend.
- Your friendship means the world to me. Thank you for that.
- My friend, you make me smile. Many thanks for every smile.
- You always know how to make me laugh. Thank you for being my friend.
- Friendship is such a special thing and I’m so glad to share it with you. Thanks!
- I consider myself as the luckiest person in the world to have you as a friend. So, thank you!
- Thank you for being my friend, you have filled my life with real joy and happiness.
- You are the kind of friend who makes the good times even better and the hard times a whole lot easier. Thanks a lot pal!
- Thank you for staying by my side when I was going through ups and downs in my life.
- Thanks for walking with me when I needed support. You’re the best person I know.
- Countless times, you have proved that friendship goes beyond words. Thanks a lot for being that understanding friend.
- Thanks for being the support system of my life. You’re the best.
- Being friends with you makes me want to celebrate every day as Friendship Day. Big thanks!
- Thank you for your amazing friendship. I will always cherish that.
- Sometimes I just wonder what I would have done without you. You have been so kind, my friend.
Other English Phrases to say friendly thanks
- I appreciate what you did.
- Thank you for thinking of me.
- Thank you for your time today.
- Thanks for coming today.
- I am so thankful for what you did.
- I wanted to take the time to thank you.
- I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
- Your kind words mean a lot to me. Many thanks!
- I just want to say thanks for helping me out.
- It was so nice to hear from you. Thank you for reaching out.
- Thanks a lot for your help – I couldn’t have done it without you!
Thanking someone for something specific
- Thank you for your kind concern.
- Thanks for explaining this to me.
- Thank you for stopping by.
- Thanks for finding my keys.
- Thank you for calling me. (when you’re not well)
- Thank you for your prompt reply. I appreciate it.
- I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.
- I’m grateful for your assistance. Thanks again.
Saying thank you to your significant other
- Thanks for being such a wonderful partner/wife/husband.
- I really appreciate everything you do. Thank you so much my love!
- I’d be lost without you. Thanks for being always there with me.
- Thank you for this wonderful gift. You make my heart smile.
- Thank you for being my real superhero!
- Thank you so much for being a loving wife all these years.
- Thank you for always bringing out the best in me. You’re a real gem!
- You just made my day amazing. It’s very thoughtful. Thank you for this lovely gesture.
- Today I’m feeling lucky. I’m so grateful you choose to be with me. Thank you 3000!
- I’m the luckiest husband in the world. Thank you loving and supporting me unconditionally.
- You’re the sweetest! Thank you for everything you do!
- I don’t know what to say. You already made dinner tonight, thank you for being so wonderful.
- When I think about things I’m grateful for, you are always on the list.
- It’s a special blessing to find someone as loving and caring as you. Thank you.
- Thank you for supporting me, no matter what. I couldn’t ask for a better life partner.
- Just when I thought I couldn’t love you more, you did that. Thank you for being so kind!
- I’m so blessed to have you in my life as my best friend and caring companion.
- I have always felt your loving kindness for me no matter what I’m going through. Thank you for being the loveliest wife.
- My love for you is as eternal as the ocean. Thank you for this memorable moment.
- Perhaps, the words aren’t enough to express my gratitude and love for you. Thanks a million for being there for me.
- A grateful thanks to you for being the love of my life and my best friend.
- Thank you for being that person who has always loved me truly and wholeheartedly.
- Thank you for showing courage, compassion and care when I needed the most. Thank you for being lovely you.
- I thank you for the years of togetherness and kindness you have brought in my life.
PHRASES FOR THANKING A COLLEAGUE
When someone has helped you achieve your goals
- Thank you for your encouraging words.
- Thank you Priya for your kind words.
- Thank you for your guidance, encouragement and support.
- Thanks a lot. Your help has made my job easier. I really appreciate your time and effort.
- I am grateful for all your help and continued support. Thank you for supporting me on this project.
- Thank you for the favor you did for me. You are the best.
- Thanks for always being on my side. You are my best workmate and my mentor.
- I couldn’t have achieved this much without your support and help. A grateful thanks to you for everything.
- I would like to thank you for your kindly support. You are an amazing co-worker
- Thank you for your steadfast support. I will never forget all the things you have done for me.
- Thank you for being there for me always. You are the best!
- Thank you for your assistance, your help has proved to be invaluable.
- Thank you for your valuable contribution. I owe you a lot.
- I feel so blessed for having a colleague like you. Thank you for being so supportive.
- Having a coworker like you is a blessing, Thank you for your support at work.
- Your advice was always very helpful. Thank you for your sincere advice.
Thank you for hard work and teamwork
- Thank you for being the best colleague I have ever worked with. I want you to know I really appreciate your efforts.
- Thank you for your guidance throughout my Internship. You are simply the best mentor I have ever worked with. Thank you for shaping my career.
- You have been a good listener. Thank you for being very patient with me during time like this.
- You have been a pillar of strength in moving this project forward. We thank you for your hard work!
- Thank you for creating this supportive work environment. It was pleasure working with you.
- Thank you for your effort and the awesome teamwork!
- Thank you for hard work and never letting the team down.
- Thank you for being there for me when I needed you most.
- To the best team ever, I take this opportunity to thank you for your dedicated hard work.
- The profits have been improving. Thank you for making this business profitable.
When someone is leaving the organization
- I have learned a lot while working with you. Thank you for being an amazing team player.
- I just want you to know, it has been interesting working with you. Thank you for great team work.
- You are a wonderful colleague. It has been an honor working with you. Thank you for your kindness and help.
- Thank you for invaluable contributions. I wish you best of luck and success in your new job.
- Thank you for being a great pal here at work. It has been a blessing working with you; I wish you the best of luck wherever you go.
- We are dearly going to miss you; we wish you the best of luck in your new appointment. Thank you for your positive influence at work.
Responding when someone says “thank you”
- You’re welcome.
- Don’t mention it.
- No worries.
- Not at all.
- It was my pleasure.
- Just happy to help.
- I’m glad I could help.
- It’s absolutely fine.
- You owe me one.
- Thank you!