English Phrases: Giving Complimenting
Frequently extending compliments to someone really elevates their state of mind and makes them feel good. Additionally it goes a long way in establishing rapport with the person you’re talking to. Your ability to give timely and sincere compliments brings the spark in conversations and enables you to stay present in the current moment. Receiving compliments is the other half of the social convention that you need to follow in order to maintain reciprocity in the communications.
Tips while giving compliments
Sincere: The intended compliment must be sincere and genuine.
Specific: Be specific to make your compliment effective. Try avoiding generalized compliments.
Spontaneous: This involves giving compliment as soon as you identify something wonderful.
Giving Compliments on the accomplishment
- Good job!
- Well done!
- That’s great!
- Nice work!
- That’s really remarkable.
- Good grades!
- That looks awesome!
- Kudos on the great work!
Phrases for complimenting a person’s appearance/clothes
- Ms. Hima, may I be so bold as to compliment you on your dress?
- May I pay you a compliment Jane? You really look fantastic today.
- I hope you don’t mind, but I just had to say how wonderful you look today.
- You look great.
- You look phenomenal.
- You look nice.
- You look amazing!
- The dress looks stunning.
- What a lovely necklace!
- I like your shirt – where did you get it?
- I love your new shoes.
- You look very good in that suit.
- This tie looks nice on you.
- That color looks great on you.
- You look very handsome.
- You’re looking very beautiful today.
- I like your new haircut.
- You have a lovely voice.
- Wow, you look hot!
- Reshmi, what a beautiful dress!
- Cool glasses, totally suit you.
- I really love your haircut. It makes you look like a movie star.
Phrases for complimenting someone’s performance
- Jon, if you don’t mind me saying, you are an excellent public speaker.
- I must say you really know how to communicate.
- I totally admire your spontaneity.
- I admire your ability to think on your feet.
- I really must express my admiration for your speech.
- Wow! You’re great at delivering a PEP TALK!
- You can really argue. That was amazing debate!
- You’re an awesome dancer.
- It’s a mesmerizing performance. Keep it up.
- You sure can play table tennis. Great Skills!
- I love the way you play guitar.
- You really have some special talent.
- Tom, I couldn’t help but notice your Mercedes. It’s a beauty!
- I have to admit I’m jealous of your lovely garden.
- You have such a majestic painting in your living room.
- I have no words to describe your brand new TV. It’s rather vibrant.
- Nice car! Is it yours?
- Kudos on the new iPhone X dude. Where did you get it?
- Your camera is superb. That’s nice!
- Awesome headphones man, they look stunning.
Phrases for complimenting someone’s home
- What a nice apartment!
- You have a beautiful home.
- You have a lovely home Jack.
- I love what you have done with the place.
- Where did you get that lovely table?
- I love the decor. Did you do it yourself?
Phrases for complimenting someone’s cooking
- The dish is delicious.
- This soup is very tasty.
- Great Pasta! It’s finger licking good.
- You’re a fantastic cook.
- Did you make this from scratch?
- You’ve got to give me the recipe for this chicken dish!
- The cherry pie is out of this world.
- This is best sandwich I ever had.
- That was delicious. My compliments to the chef!
Phrases for complimenting babies / children
- She’s darn cute
- What a cute and cuddly baby.
- Oh, what an adorable face!
- He/she’s so cute!
- Your children are very well-behaved.
- Your daughter is a smart cookie.
- Your kids are a lot of fun.
- She’s well-mannered kid.
Phrases for receiving compliments
- How kind of you to say so.
- It’s nice of you to say so.
- It’s very kind of you to say that.
- Really? I’m not sure about that, actually.
- Thank you.
- Thank you so much.
- Thanks a lot.
- Thanks for your compliment.
- I’m glad you like it.
- I’m delighted to hear that.
- Seriously, you liked it that much.
Recommended Blogs for you